I’ve lived just outside of Kansas City all my life, or what we call the KC Metro Area. While I’ll admit, I was not fond of this city in my younger days, now I think of it as home. While I live on the Kansas side, I work in Kansas City Missouri and have always identified myself as a Kansas Citian. I thought it might be fun to write a little bit about Kansas City for that reason.
It’s a pretty cool place to live. Being smack dab in the middle of the country means we have tons of trains, truckers passing through, and travelers as well. Oh. And the cost of living here, from what I can tell, is pretty awesome compared to a lot of the rest of the country.
A few interesting facts about Kansas City:
- Kansas City Missouri has the most fountains of any city in the world, with the exception of Rome.
- Walt Disney’s first animation studio was in KC. It’s said there was a little mouse in the building which he fed, which became his inspiration for Mickey Mouse.
- Ernest Hemingway started his writing career in Kansas City. He claimed the Kansas City Star‘s writing style utilizing short sentences influenced his writing throughout his life & helped him form his style.
- Legendary jazz musician Charlie Parker‘s first gig was at the Kansas City Plaza.
- With a total population of 2.1 Million, Kansas City is the 29th largest metropolitan area in the U.S.
- There are technically two Kansas Cities – Kansas City, MO and Kansas City, KS.
I’ve found a few links that I think may help you get the gist of KC as well.
- We’re tech savvy.
The ‘Paris of the Plains’? Sure, we’ll take it.
- Kansas City has a rich history.
Ruthless mobs, battles with Native Americans, a bitter feud regarding slavery in the 1800s- we’ve got it all.
- Like a lot of large cities in America, there are a lot of homeless people in Kansas City.
And ours are very creative.
- Maybe we’re even a bit romantic.
- We really like sports, especially basketball.
Probably because Basketball was invented by John Naismith, a long time coach at Kansas University. Naismith began teaching at KU just a few years after he’d invented Basketball.
- There are a lot of ways to piss us off with broad generalizations and stereotypes that seem to accompany the midwest.
No, I do not live on a farm. No, my dog is not named Toto. (It’s Moose.)
- There’s some seriously wild weather in these parts from time to time.
Hate the weather? Wait five minutes. We have super hot, sticky humid summers & below bearable winters.
- You can even buy a castle here.
Built in 1909, this castle-mansion-house is a steal at just under 600k.
And finally, don’t miss this video ‘Tour of Kansas City’ below, presented by BottomsUp Comedy. They pretty much hit the nail on the head.
Also, check out Tim Lair’s video homage to Kansas City below. It’s simply stunning. We really are the Paris of the Plains.
Paris of the Plains from Tim Lair on Vimeo.
Sources: Examiner.com, Visual.ly, Tim Lair